Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recipe: Coconut Pancakes

The beau's mother brought me a package of coconut flour from North America, so yesterday I had my first chance to play with its primal potential. First on the list - coconut pancakes!


Note - coconut flour tends to create dry pancakes as the flour is completely de-fatted, so be generous with your coconut oil and stingy with your cooking time.

Coconut Pancakes

Ingredients:

50g coconut flour
4 pastured eggs
3T melted coconut oil (plus extra for frying pan lubrication)
1/2 cup (or so) water


Method:

1. Combine flour and eggs in a large bowl.

2. Add oil and stir well.

3. Gradually add water to the mixture whilst stirring, until the consistency is just shy of runny. (You could try going for a runnier mixture, but this will make your pancakes even more fragile)

4. Add a generous blob of oil to your frying pan and heat until oil is about to sizzle.

5. Spoon desired amounts of mixture into the pan and press/stretch into flat shapes.

6. Leave to fry until base is firm and edges begin to brown.

7. Flip pancakes carefully, washing for splashing oil. Allow to cook until other side has browned and centre is firm.

8. Remove from heat and serve immediately, or keep warm and covered (trap steam to maximise moisture level of pancakes).


Sensational served with fresh or defrosted fruit (defrosted has the bonus of resultant juice being used to add more moisture to the cakes), dollop dairy cream, grated 100% cacao solids, and maple syrup if you consume sugars.

Variant - Cocoa-Nutty Coconut Pancakes:



In place of the straight coconut flour, use 30g coconut flour, 20g almond flour, and a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. Yum!




UPDATE: 4th Feb, 2010

I just made another batch of coconut/almond pancakes, but this time the ingredients & ratios were thus:

15g almond flour
15g coconut flour
1T macadamia nut butter
2 large pastured eggs
2T water

The macadamia butter added back some of the oils wrenched out of the nut flours in a more effective way than by adding coconut oil back into the mix. The batter was smooth and a bit runny - runny enough to pour into the pan, and just thin enough to really fluff up, with bubbles reaching the top of the cooking pancake and everything!


(Ooooh, bubbles!!)


Utterly divine, and served savory with cream cheese for variety! (Apologies for the effects of over-heated butter - I dry my hair while my breakfast cooks, so I was a bit far away to notice it starting to brown!)

13 comments:

Monica said...

Oh my gosh these sound amazing.

spartanic said...

OK so I'm in my office right now and those pictures sure make me wanna bite the mouse pad.

Congratulations for your work, I've been following your blog recently.

Primal girl, you rock!

Greetings from Romania.

Shantel said...

I love your blog!
I'm just beginning a paleo lifestyle and seems I really like so far.
Those coconut pancakes look so good!
I seen a video of a guy making them and bookmarked it. Now I really want to make them!

Jezwyn said...

Thanks lovelies! I was planning to make another batch of these this evening, for dinner, but as we arrived home from weekend away, we found our house to be the temperature & humidity level of your average summer greenhouse, so cooking was out of the question! Maybe for breakfast on Tuesday...

Anonymous said...

oh these are good.. did the chocolate ones.. yummy.
If only i could get the fresh cream from the Otways up here in Sydney.. that'd be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hello Girl Gone Primal this is Paleo Guy (sounds all cryptic...lol)

Found about your blog and recipes through paleohack, amazing site!
I have lots of cocnut flour and have yet to master the uses of it! So thanks for your recipes!

You can check my recipes on my Paleo blog! Take Care
Paleo Guy

http://guythehealthypaleoguy.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/my-first-fancy-paleo-guy-recipe-the-sweet-shrimp-pepper-surprise/

Mitchell said...

What about substituting coconut milk for the water? I was going to make a batch of these coconut pancakes, but add some coconut flakes and sub the water for coconut milk. Would that work, or would I end up with a big mess?

AWESOME blog btw, I've been recommending it to everyone.

Jezwyn said...

Hi Mitchell! I bet coconut milk would work deliciously!

LoLo said...

I made your Coconut Pancakes this morning and they were wonderful. My wee ones put agave nectar on theirs, and I topped mine with sweetened roasted pumpkin mascarpone cheese and a side of scrambled eggs. Lovely. It was a nice way to start off a busy morning. I am going to make a version of your Coconut Curry Soup later today. I need to use up the rest of the roasted pumpkin I have from Thanksgiving. Thanks for your blog, recipes, effort. I look forward to reading much more of your blog!

SuperAYLA said...

My coconut pancakes stuck too much to my pan :( but I used the remaining batter in some silicone muffin cups and backed at 350 F for about 45 minutes (they were browned on top a little) and they turned out fabulous. Thank you!

Holly said...

Mmmm. I just tried this recipe for dinner, and they are AWESOME!

One note however, if you're expecting them to feel like a pancake, they're a little heavier, not the smooth, fluffy traditional pancake.

The flavor is so good, and I found myself eating less than I normally would have when having pancakes. So satisfying.

Thank you!

Stephanie Crededio said...

I just made these and I absolutely LOVE them.. Thank you so much for sharing. I love your blog!! What do you think a serving amount is for these coconut pancakes lol.. there too good, portion control is out of the question .


Thank you

-Stephanie

Jezwyn said...

Hi Stephanie,

My experience is more like Holly's - I find the pancakes very filling so I don't usually need more than one (i.e. the size of one tea cup saucer).

GGP